The magic of math doesn't happen just on paper. It reveals itself through exploration of creative projects that can be done using things you already have at home, like marshmallows, grapes, toothpicks, cherry tomatoes, pretzel sticks, colored paper - you name it!
1. Use 4 marshmallows and 5 toothpicks to make 2 triangles.
2. Now, what about five triangles with 6 grapes and 9 toothpicks?
3. Let's get creative now, shall we? Can you make a bow out of six toothpicks and five marshmallows?
4. Let's take it up a notch and create a 3-D pyramid!
Hint: We first form the base of the pyramid which is a square and add four more toothpicks and one more grape to make a pyramid.
5. And finally, you and your child can build a house together! Count out loud how many marshmallows and toothpicks are needed to build a house.
Go ahead and build as many shapes and buildings as you like and be as creative as possible!